Thailand: Immersive Workshop on Cultural and Linguistic Diversity for slp
Join us July 16-23, 2022, to earn all of the ASHA CEUs you need for your 3-year period and a certificate in Cultural and Linguistic Diversity
This program is a collaboration between the internationally recognized innovators at Bilinguistics and the award-winning study abroad program facilitators at Therapy Abroad. Speech-language pathologists will have an opportunity to travel to beautiful Chiang Mai, Thailand and explore new places, cuisines, cultures, religions, ways of living, and approaches to supporting individuals with disabilities. This weeklong program offers 30 hours of continuing education and addresses all of the competencies in cultural and linguistic diversity outlined by the American Speech-Language Hearing Association (ASHA), and many more competencies that will advance your cultural humility.
Join us in Chiang Mai, Thailand – July 16-23, 2022
It's Time to Travel Again. It's Time to Learn More About Eachother. It's Time To Grow Your Network of Globally- Minded & Growth-Oriented Colleagues
Per ASHA (2020), developing cultural competence is a dynamic and complex process requiring ongoing self-assessment and continuous expansion of one’s cultural knowledge. It evolves over time, beginning with an understanding of one’s own culture, continuing through interactions with individuals from various cultures, and extending through one’s own lifelong learning. Cultural competence is increasingly important to eliminate long-standing disparities in the health status of people based on racial, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds
Cultural humility goes beyond cultural competence. It is a dynamic and lifelong process focusing on self-reflection and personal critique, acknowledging one’s own biases. This program seeks to help professionals grow through an immersive, relevant, and impactful experience.
Coursework is designed to bridge theory and practice, providing evidence-based practical tools that you can immediately put to use in your practice as a speech-language pathologist while broadening your cultural perspectives and experiences.
Our workshops are packed with video case studies, discussion points, and opportunities for active learning. Below is an outline of the courses. Part of the day will be spent in the classroom focusing on coursework in cultural and linguistic diversity. The rest of the day we will apply information from our coursework with culturally relevant and enriching activities, including the Rajanagarindra Institute for Childhood Development, learning mindfulness techniques used in Thailand to promote mental and emotional health, and learning about Thai culture, religion, and customs.
Webinar What? Zoom Who? Wouldn’t you rather earn up to 30 hours of CE in a single week? In Thailand?
Attendees will receive a Certificate in Cultural and Linguistic Diversity that covers the information you need to confidently diagnose and treat diverse populations, and provides all the CEUs you need for your 3-year earning period. Enjoy all that Chiang Mai has to offer -food, culture, and amazing activities. Here is a snapshot of what we will be doing.
Immersion in Cultural and Linguistic Diversity
- Evaluating Students Who Speak a Language You Don’t
- Visit markets, temples, and cultural sites with with local liaisons and interpreters
- Difference or Disorder: Speech & Language
- Explore Thai culture, customs, and cuisine
- Practical Dynamic Assessment + Using AAC Devices with Bilingual People
- Learn about ancient healing, massage, and wellness practices used in Thailand
- Intervention Strategies for Diverse Learners
- Explore therapy approaches for youth with disabilities at the Institute for Childhood Development
- Ethics: Understanding different religion’s views about disabilities
- Excursion: Explore religion’s and the religious history of the area
Program Pricing and What's Included
The Total Cost of this workshop is $2,500 USD. Space is very limited and will be on a first-come basis. To register you need to fill out some basic information and submit a $500 deposit to hold your space. Final payments will be due no later than 90 days prior to the trip.
Safety is a systematic and comprehensive process and we understand that safety concerns are a part of planning for any overseas travel. As such, we have made safety our highest priority. We have organized this program from beginning to end so that we can account for all of the details. Our goal is to provide you with a smooth and worry-free educational travel experience and portal for professional development.
Program price includes:
- Pre-Departure Support
- 24/7 In-country Support
- Boutique 4 Star Accommodation (2 Bed Shared)
- Most Meals
- All domestic Transport
- Private Guides
- All coursework
- Professional Facilitators
- All Activities listed in the Schedule
- 30 Hours of ASHA CEUs
- Certificate in Cultural & Linguistic Diversity
What’s Not Included:
- International Flights
- Travel Insurance
- Single Supplement (Private) Room + $300
Thailand Speech Pathology -Full Workshop 2022 Schedule
Morning Coursework: Evaluating Students Who Speak a Language You Don’t
Afternoon Activity: Learning to Interact with Cultural Liaisons and InterpretersObjectives:
- Describe two important steps to take prior to the evaluation.
- List the three different steps of working with interpreters.
- Describe the process of selecting assessment tools for students who speak a language you do not.
- Describe how to differentiate language influence patterns from language errors indicative of a disorder.
- Describe how to use dynamic assessment to improve diagnostic accuracy.
- Practice interacting with interpreters in the community
Morning Coursework: Difference or Disorder? – Speech & Language
Afternoon Activity: Excursion to FAE Elephant HospitalObjectives:
- Demonstrate an understanding of how languages interact and the resulting language patterns in English Language Learners.
- Analyze and interpret results from language samples of English language learners from different language backgrounds (including Thai, Lao, Karen, Khmer, and Malay)
- Describe expected versus unexpected errors.
- Describe benefits of using standardized tools and informal measures
- Explain how to use Dynamic Assessment to increase confidence in diagnostic decisions
- Learn 3 important cultural symbols in Thailand and surrounding areas.
- Describe the importance of animals to the Thai people.
Morning Coursework: Practical Dynamic Assessment, AAC
Afternoon Activity: MindfulnessObjectives: ● Design quick teaching sessions based on assessment results. ● Implement 3-5-minute teaching sessions within an assessment to observe learning potential. ● Use the results of a dynamic assessment to make confident diagnostic decisions. ● Write on-point goals based on the results of a dynamic assessment ● Describe ways to support students who are bilingual and use AAC devices ● Describe 3 different mindfulness approaches. ● Describe how mindfulness can be incorporated into practice as a SLP Time-ordered agenda: 30 minutes Dynamic assessment – history, research, what and how 60 minutes Case Studies—Speech, Language, Narratives 90 minutes Using AAC with Students who are bilingual (120 minute break for lunch) 90 minutes Learning about and practicing mindfulness techniques 90 minutes Understanding the benefits of meditation and learning meditation techniques Day
Morning Coursework: Intervention Strategies with Diverse Learners
Afternoon Activity: Visit to Child Development CenterObjectives:
- Identify benefits of using storybooks in intervention for culturally and linguistically diverse populations.
- Implement strategies to reduce therapy planning using storybooks, classroom resources, and academic topics
- Describe the use of literacy-based interventions to support access to the general education curriculum in the least restrictive environment.
- Develop a plan to implement curriculum-based intervention to align with the specific teacher goals.
- Describe similarities and differences between speech therapy, occupational therapy, and physical therapy practices in Thailand and your home country.
- Describe how music and drama therapy are used to support communication development in Thailand.
Full Day Event: Ethics, Religion, and Views About Disabilities with excursion exploring history, culture, and religions in ThailandObjectives:
- List the most prominent religions of Thailand
- Describe similarities and differences in these religions and others
- Describe different views about the occurrence of disabilities and the treatment of disabilities
Therapy Abroad works with universities around the world to build custom international programs. Programs will be built from the ground up and will be driven by your goals, values, and intended learning outcomes. We will work directly with you and your study abroad office to create the perfect program or simply modify one of our existing programs to meet the needs of your department. Learn more here.
Questions About Covid-19
Covid-19 Vaccines Will be Required
At Therapy Abroad, we also believe that we are all part of a global community and that we have some shared responsibilities as part of that community. Our programs are all about people –working with people, helping people, sharing ideas with people, and learning from people. Vaccines will help us continue our work. Thank You
DISCLOSURE OF FINANCIAL RELATIONSHIPS: Ellen Kester, Ph.D., CCC-SLP. Dr. Ellen Kester is the owner of Bilinguistics and receives a salary. Bilinguistics receives royalty payments for online courses. DISCLOSURE OF NONFINANCIAL RELATIONSHIPS: Ellen Kester does not have any non-financial relationships to disclose.
DISCLOSURE OF FINANCIAL RELATIONSHIPS: Scott Prath, M.A., CCC-SLP is a salaried employee of Bilinguistics. Bilinguistics receives royalty payments for online courses. DISCLOSURE OF NONFINANCIAL RELATIONSHIPS: Scott Prath does not have any non-financial relationships to disclose.